• thebackdoorgaa

Logan and Dooher Register First Win

Armagh vs Tyrone


Athletic Grounds

Image Via RTE

An efficient last quarter got Fergal Logan and Brian Dooher off the mark with their first victory in charge of Tyrone as they managed to overcome an impressive Armagh effort.

On Saturday evening we were treated to a really entertaining encounter as old rivals Tyrone and Armagh did battle. Armagh impressed last week as they comfortably beat Monaghan by a four-point margin whereas their opponents Tyrone were in desperate need of a win if they were to have any chance of progressing to a league semi-final in a few weeks time.

The game started at a fast pace with both teams looking to make their mark early. Armagh made that brilliant start last weekend vs Monaghan where they racked up 1-03 in just five minutes. However, this week the shoe was on the other foot as Tyrone made the great start leading 0-01 to 1-03 after just ten minutes. A surging Peter Harte run cut open the Armagh defence as he launched the ball into the back of the net. Darren McCurry looked lively in the opening exchanges scoring two points.

Kieran McGeeney’s men didn’t let the early goal faze them as some good movement from Rian O’Neill got him in a dangerous position before he slipped the ball across the goal for Jarlath Og Burns to palm the ball into the back of the net. It was 1-01 to 1-03 after the first water-break.

The Orchard men began eating into the opposition lead with Rory Grugan really started to impose himself, scoring a couple of points. Oisin and Rian O’Neill put in massive shifts giving the opposition defence plenty to think about. The teams continued to trade scores with some nice points coming from Stefan Campbell and Grugan, with Paul Donaghy and Harte getting the pick of the scores for Tyrone. It was 1-7 apiece at the half-time break.

Niall Sludden was introduced at the start of the 2nd half making an immediate impact setting Donaghy up for a goal before it was later disallowed as it was deemed as a square ball. Armagh lost Grugan to a black card, however Tyrone didn’t capitalise on the man advantage, as a few minutes later the home side scored their second goal of the evening. O’Neill kicked a perfect pass to Connor Tubritt who rounded Niall Morgan to score the goal.

Things looked like they were about to go from bad to worse for the visitors as Armagh were awarded a penalty, however the effort was saved by Morgan, proving to be a pivotal moment in the match. The momentum began to swing back to the men in red and white as substitute Mark Bradley volleyed the ball into the back of the net after putting giving his team a four-point cushion.

Dooher and Logan’s men finished the game strong with some nice scores from Conor Meyler and Bradley. The game finished 2-10 to 2-15 with Tyrone getting their first win of the campaign.

Armagh: B Hughes; R Kennedy, A Forker, J Morgan; C Mackin, A McKay, C O’Hanlon; N Grimley, J Og Burns; J Hall (0-01), R O’Neill (0-01), G McCabe; R Grugan (0-05, 3f), O O’Neill (0-01), S Campbell (0-01).

Subs: B McCambridge for Kennedy (9), R McQuillan for Morgan (17), P Hughes for Hall (21), P Burns for Forker (33), C Turbitt (1-0) for McCabe (33), J Duffy (0-01) for Campbell (55)

Tyrone: N Morgan; C Munroe, R McNamee, P Hampsey; M O’Neill, M Donnelly (0-01), P Harte (1-01), F Burns, D McClure; P Donaghy (0-04, 2f, 1m), D McCurry (0-07, 4f), C Meyler (0-01); K McGeary, C McKenna, D Canavan.

Subs: R Brennan for O’Neill (35+6), M Cassidy for McClure (35+6), N Sludden for McGeary (h-t), M Bradley (1-01, 0-1f) for Donaghy (48), L Rafferty for Canavan (62), M McKernan for Munroe (64)

Referee: D Gough (Meath).

By Ciaron Noble

0 views0 comments