• thebackdoorgaa

Goals Galore in Christy Ring and Lory Meagher Cups!

By Cian Dalton

The Longford hurlers looked like the Harlem Globetrotters in their thrashing of Louth this afternoon. They backed up the flicks and tricks with solid hurling and put their demons from the league to rest. Louth scored 3-19, a solid scoreline in any other game but they still lost by over 20 points to a Longford side with a point to prove. There was a tighter affair in the Christy Ring Cup in Aughrim between Wicklow and Roscommon, the hosts winning well in the end despite getting a scare at the start of the second half. 15 goals were scored across the two games which is a crazy statistic to take away from the afternoon’s hurling.

Lory Meagher Cup, Gorup A, Round 1, Longford 8-25 – 3-19 Louth, Pearse Park, 4pm.

If Louth were told before the game that they would score 3-19 in their opening championship game of the season they could be forgiven for thinking they might win that game. Of course, they couldn’t predict that Longford would have their best game in a long time, scoring six goals in the first half alone. Reuben Murray scored a first half hattrick while Joe O’Brien kept the points ticking over for the hosts. Darren Geoghegan scored some monster frees to keep the Wee county within ten points of the leaders but the damage was already done. There was no letting up for Longford in the second half and they continued dominating play. It feels cheap to pick a highlight of the game considering there were 11 goals to choose from, but Stephen Creaven’s point from a sideline cut was as good as any Joe Canning or Mark Coleman effort you will see on RTÉ this year. Longford ran out convincing winners by 21 points in the end and Louth will have been delighted to hear the final whistle go. Having been promoted from Division 3B and Longford being relegated from 3A, perhaps there is a disparity in skill level between the two Division 3s. It will be interesting to see these two sides next year after spending the league in opposite divisions.

Christy Ring Cup, Group A, Round 1, Wicklow 2-18 – 1-11 Roscommon, Aughrim, 4pm.

2B or not 2B, that is the question. Whatever the answer is, this game followed a similar pattern to the Lory Meagher game above. The difference in skill and intensity of matches between Division 2A and 2B was apparent in Aughrim Saturday afternoon as Wicklow ran out convincing winners. However, they did survive quite the scare after half time. They were comfortably leading going into the break, courtesy of a first half breeze, a Cathal Hughes goal and the everpresent Andy O’Brien on frees. They were solid under the opposition puck out too and seemed to be dominating. However, after half time Roscommon seemed to have woken up a bit. They chipped away at the Wicklow lead, the commentators on Wicklow G.A.A.’s Facebook stream noting that a Roscommon goal would blow this game wide open. The commentator’s curse is real, as just before the water break full back Bryan Kearney was black carded for stopping a Roscommon goal chance and wing back Gary Byrne was red carded for his involvement in the resulting fracas. Cathal Dolan, the Rossie’s standout performer, cooly slotted the penalty home and it was now a four point game. All credit to Wicklow, they rallied and despite being down to 13 for ten minutes and 14 for the rest of the game, they pushed on and a late Mikey Lee goal sealed the victory.

2 views0 comments